- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup applesauce (divided into 2 half cups)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 can pumpkin pie mix (use 1 cup of the mix for the bread and reserve the rest for the butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill GF all purpose flour (in my research I was told that "Pamela's" is a great option but I learned that it is not vegan)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (divided into two 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- approx 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger (divided into two 1/2 tbsp)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup choc.chips
- about a tbsp of vegan "butter" (like Earth Balance)
1. Preheat oven to 350, grease a baking pan and have some water boiling
2. Put applesauce, coconut oil and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl.
3. In a different bowl add the flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Sift them together or if you don't have a sifter do what I did and use a fork.
4. Measure 1/3 cup boiling water and add to the cocoa mixture and mix to make a chocolate sauce. Yum! Then add the pumpkin, sugar,and vanilla.
5. Dump half of the flour mix into the chocolate mix and stir. Then add 1 tbsp boiling water and stir again. Now and the rest of the flour mix, another tbsp of water and mix and add in the chocolate chips.
6. Spoon the batter into your loaf pan.
7. Set your timer for 45 minutes.
8. Now take the leftover pumpkin pie mix and put it into a pan.
9. Add 1/2 cup applesauce, a splash of water, about a tbsp of "butter", about a half tbsp grated ginger and about a half tsp. cinnamon.
10. Stir the pumpkin mixture and let it come to a boil.
11. Then simmer while the bread is baking.
12. When your timer goes off stick a knife in the center of the pan and see if it comes out clean.
13. Let the bread cool completely and serve with pumpkin butter!