You will need:
- 9 cups of water
- 1 cup mung beans (if you can soak the beans, even better for digestion)
- 1 cup basmati rice (same story on soaking)
- 1/3 cup grated ginger
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup ghee (ghee is clarified butter. it is clearly not vegan but it is lactose free and contributes greatly to the cleansing process)
- Use any vegetables you have on hand, chopped. Greens, carrots, celery and broccoli are always good additions. Today I had yellow bell pepper, carrots, leeks and red chard.
- 1 heaping tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 heaping tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp crushed red chiles
- 1 tbsp sweet basil
- 2 bay leaves
Kitcheree is usually served with plenty of yogurt and fresh cilantro. I like to use cashews and liquid aminos too! You may use any non dairy or dairy plain yogurt you like but I suggest White Mountain Foods Bulgarian Yogurt as the amount of tanginess it adds seems to be spot on!
1. Bring water to boil. Rinse beans and rice and add to pot, boiling over a med-high flame.
2. While R&B are cooking, chop your veggies. Set aside onions, ginger and garlic but add the greens and other veggies to the pot.
3. Heat ghee in a large skillet. Add onions, ginger, garlic and sautee over med-high flame until they being to brown. Add spices, not herbs.
4. When this is all cooked down add it to your big pot.
5. Now add your herbs and lower the heat.
6. Continue to cook until mushy like a stew. The ingredients should be barely discernible.
7. Serve topped with yogurt, cilantro...etc. YUM!